Building OpenOCD from Sources for Linux¶
The following instructions are alternative to downloading binary OpenOCD from Espressif website. To quickly setup the binary OpenOCD, instead of compiling it yourself, backup and proceed to section Setup OpenOCD for Linux.
Download Sources of OpenOCD¶
The sources for the ESP32-enabled variant of OpenOCD are available from Espressif GitHub under https://github.com/espressif/openocd-esp32. To download the sources, use the following commands:
cd ~/esp git clone –recursive https://github.com/espressif/openocd-esp32.git
The clone of sources should be now saved in
Install packages that are required to compile OpenOCD.
Install the following packages one by one, check if installation was successful and then proceed to the next package. Resolve reported problems before moving to the next step.
sudo apt-get install make sudo apt-get install libtool sudo apt-get install pkg-config sudo apt-get install autoconf sudo apt-get install automake sudo apt-get install texinfo sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0
- Version of pkg-config should be 0.2.3 or above.
- Version of autoconf should be 2.6.4 or above.
- Version of automake should be 1.9 or above.
- When using USB-Blaster, ASIX Presto, OpenJTAG and FT2232 as adapters, drivers libFTDI and FTD2XX need to be downloaded and installed.
- When using CMSIS-DAP, HIDAPI is needed.
Proceed with configuring and building OpenOCD:
cd ~/esp/openocd-esp32 ./bootstrap ./configure make
Optionally you can add
sudo make install step at the end. Skip it, if you have an existing OpenOCD (from e.g. another development platform), as it may get overwritten.
- Should an error occur, resolve it and try again until the command
- If there is a submodule problem from OpenOCD, please
openocd-esp32directory and input
git submodule update --init.
- If the
./configureis successfully run, information of enabled JTAG will be printed under
OpenOCD configuration summary.
- If the information of your device is not shown in the log, use
./configureto enable it as described in
- For details concerning compiling OpenOCD, please refer to
make process is successfully completed, the executable of OpenOCD will be saved in